View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 06:31 AM   #124
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
That's very true, but we all know that balancing the skills/powers/builds in a game is a lot easier said than done most times. Even when you think that things are balanced, players are incredibly innovative. They will find a way to use things in ways you never intended. Sometimes, that's perfectly fine. Othertimes, it can be game breaking. Sometimes, an extremely good player (good as in good at game mechanics) can make a skill seem unbalanced simply by how well they employ certain powers/power combinations. Then, you have powergamers vs. casual gamers. When they start going at each other, balance issues can seem incredibly muddled.

Even if you give all the players the exact same powers, you have balance issues because you still have to balance player powers against the game itself.

Given all that we've said, this is why I prefer a system where you DO NOT all have the same build. Even where everyone is able to have the exact same build, you're going to have balance issues. Since that was the biggest benefit I could see to having a same-skilled system (it being "easier" to balance), I think the benefit isn't enough to justify everyone having the same skill.

Now, another reason some players might like a skill system that allows everyone a set path of powers could be simply because they like simpler games. When you have a lot of choices, you could potentinally "mess up" your character build, and for some, they really don't like to have to think about what they're going to train next or make that kind of choices for their character. This, however, could be remedied by having build guides and auto-training available in your game.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote