View Single Post
Old 10-31-2003, 04:57 AM   #7
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Obviously the ideal solution is to have a decent learning curve, the real problem is how to go about achieving it - particularly if your combat system is very different to what is already out there, because you're going to have to cater to people who are used to certain approaches to combat. Now if people are used to standard Diku, where you type "kill" then go make a coffee, how are you going to give them a smooth introduction to a coordinate-based non-automated combat system?

You could provide them with an alternative automated option (perhaps have it only work with simple weapons), which allows them to fight, but not at the same level of proficiency as those who take full advantage of the system. The only problem with that is that you're creating an "inferior" combat system which lazy players will use as a crutch, and then trying to wean them off it, and I'm honestly not sure if that's a good thing in the long run. Personally I'd prefer to just explain to them the basics in simple terms, and let them come to grips with the complexities over time.

Also, unless combat is a very important part of the game, I wouldn't recommend introducing players to different stances right at the start. Just stick them in a standard stance and let them uncover the others when they feel ready. Personally I'd be tempted to try and handle as many parts of the system that way as possible - I'm not in favour of creating a simplified "alternative" combat system for newbies, but I do think you should keep things as simple as possible to start with. You could even have some sort of "mud school" for combat which players can choose to go through when/if they wish, which has different stages of complexity - that way players have a way to learn the advanced aspects if they wish, while those who aren't interested can get by with the basics (particularly for muds in which you don't need to fight to progress).

And there is nothing wrong with mixing coordinate and non-coordinate based locations, although the latter will simplify combat (which can be a good thing, if you're don't want to introduce too many options at once).
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote