View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #19
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Dealing with RP Attention Hogs

I believe RP spotlighters (leads in a play or even a secondary role that does so good they take the spotlight) are good. This would be attributed to someone like Michael J. Fox on Family Ties (Alex Keaton). His original part was limited and only secondary. Because of his delivery he was turned into the Lead. Same with Erkle (sp?) and that show. Erkle was a secondary role but his spotlighting made him the lead and the show very enjoyable.

The same is for roleplayers who spotlight by RP but don't "take" the spotlight by shoving the crew out of the way and pointing it at themselves. This happened on a film set I was on. One of the extras in my scene was a wannabe actor and as the A.D. yelled "background" (the action for extras) one of the extras yelled "wait, I'm not sure of my motivation for this part!" as the crew gaffawed the A.D. said, "Motivation? You want motivation? Okay, get the @!#$^% off the set!"

My point here is that some players get bored and want attention via dramatics in usually relationship rp being the wounded girlfriend that was cheated on and drawing the world into it, or pretending they have some disease or have been possessed by an evil spirit. We have rules against this, but it doesn't stop it from happening and can be annoying.

On the other hand, a good roleplayer building up a story that doesn't revolve aroune "me me me" can really enhance the game. I see this happen a lot by true selfless rpers.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote