View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 03:59 AM   #33
Wolpertinger

Wolpertinger is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

I have a bit of an interesting reason why I hate enforced RP - I have a stunted imagination, you could say. I have difficulty thinking up a basic appearance for my character that's more interesting than an extremely generic appearance, without practically copying others or throwing random bits together.

A background? No way. - It's more than writer's block, it's the writer's Great Wall of China.

Ironically, this makes me appreciate other people's stories more.. I'm a big reader, and I'm one of those rare few who in all games, even MMOs (even WoW) will actually read all the quest text and the story instead of CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKing through them like everyone else (including my friends.. it irritates me vastly).

At most, I can end up being a passive character who is just 'there' in the background, which never works in RP enforced MUDs.. Even when interesting world events are happening, my lack of inspiration as to how to act properly prevents me from participating. Too much requires detailed IC interaction with people. It's difficult to make friends with other players when most communication is IC, so I end up playing alone, too.

It kind of irritates me, because a lot of the most detailed and complex MUDs (I love complexity, you could say I'm an 'explorer' type of player but I love to explore mechanics and classes and abilities just as much if not more than the world) are RP enforced.

Iron Realms MUDs come to mind, but the combination of enforced RP, and the fact that you have to throw obnoxious sums of money at the developers to be able to do anything fun.. unless you roleplay.. killed them for me.

And Iron Realms muds are RP-lite compared to some of the more hardcore ones.
Wolpertinger is offline   Reply With Quote