View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #27
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: LFM: skill-based game with RP

You're right. I want to apologize to Dark Acacia.

I have nothing constructive to add, though. He's tried every mud I'd suggest and not liked them. He seems like he'd be a good Threshold or New Worlds player if he could get past the "light RP" that occurs in between all of the major plots and the fact that at any given time, at least a portion of the playerbase is going to be: 1) powerful and screw with people; 2) exclusive with their own little circles of friends; 3) dramatic/romantic/annoying; 4) grouping up to go hunt and gather; or 5) more than one of the above. Not that this is unique to those muds. For many mud players, that list is what makes a mud the type of game it is, and what makes it fun.

I'd counter that going out into the Tolkien-esque forest on an epic adventure to kill the dragon is a unique adventure the first time. Then, the next time we go after that dragon when it respawns, we're just a hunting group. If you're not supposed to form a group and kill that dragon or have ineffectual small talk, what kind of mud is left? I'm drawing a blank on any good suggestions. He might like Discworld if it were a roleplaying mud, which it isn't. It's an improve skills by use-type LP mud, though. Supposedly, there are some small circles that roleplay there, but they're the minority.

Maybe Cities of M'Dhoria? It still has character classes and "levels," but you go up levels by improving a certain number of your class' skills to a certain extent. It's a roleplaying mud. I didn't find the roleplaying that epic or anything, and I don't believe there was much if any crafting or things to do when you weren't actually at your keyboard, but it's another place to try out.

Last edited by SnowTroll : 04-08-2013 at 04:16 PM.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote