Old 01-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #107
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Again, I'll say it - if you are in the MUDing community to make money and approach it from a purely capitalistic goal, then you're better off working for EverQuest... where *real* money is made. Most MUDers and MUD Admins are in it for the love of the genre and community. I am currently working on a commercial MUD project, but my loyalties still lie with the community as a whole.

As far as IRE representing a larger group of MUDers than other organizations/games... just because your group is larger, does not mean that you represent over 50% of all MUDers. The majority of MUDs and MUDers are not commercial, and that group of people deserves to be represented for what they are - not howmuch money they do/don't make.

If Syno created this site to maximize howmuch money he could make, that's fine; as I've said before, however, I assumed it was to create a prominent MUDing resource to aid the whole community based on the way the website describes itself. I can easily see why people like Matt and Thresh would see it purely from a money standpoint, but it just kind of makes me ill to see that mindset be so prevailent in a text-based mmorpg community.

As far as calling you arrogant - I really don't care howmany people you can suck into playing IRE games through professional advertising, flashiness, and popular features - I've always judged media based on the qualities I look for in it, and not on its popularity(though popularity is not always a bad thing, I admit freely). I'd like to consider the group I'm starting to be more along the lines of an Independent Film-making company, and less along the lines of a Hollywood Studio. My way allows more innovation and specific purpose. Call me arrogant for thinking that I'm creating something better than an IRE MUD. I suppose we all have our own views of what is good. Mine is challenge/creativite-innovation, some others are popularity/money.

Ultimately, this is neither mine, nor Matt's site. It is Syno's. Whatever he believes will best serve the purpose of his website is what will go. I'm imagining that he is not as far-left liberal in his approach as I am, nor is he so blindingly conservative right as Matt/Thresh are. This, based on his not stepping in to support one side or another. But again, I can only speculate, and be glad that he is listening to my logic, even if some others are unable to get that far.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote