View Single Post
Old 06-19-2004, 04:36 AM   #12
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
But Bob -isn't- a proper dinosaur name so they'd be right to complain. I thought it was well known that as the dinosaurs evolved, the languages of the various species merged into a sort of proto-language that shared the same words for core concepts like "hunt" and "run" but had different words for things and concepts particular to their specific species. So, for instance, a Bigosaurus, one of the largest of the plant-eaters, required that it be in the water most of the time in order to support its massive bulk. So, you can imagine that Bigosaurs had a lot of words for "rest" and "comfort" and "spa" On the other hand, something like a T-rex spoke in a dialect called "Bush" that emphasized action verbs and de-emphasized any sort of subtle shades of meaning, as it was a species not given to much reflection or thought. But if you wanted a word for "kill", you talked to the T-rex.

Now, what's really interesting is that you can directly trace this dinosauric proto-language to the Finno-Ugrian languages of modern day. And really, if you consider the Bigosaur's addiction to mud baths and spas generally it's not a far leap of the imagination to connect that to the Finnish love of saunas. And come to think of it, my dad, who is a Transylvanian-born Hungarian, had a sauna in our house growing up.

My personal theory is that when most of the dinosaurs died off due to massive bacterial infection in their much-loved spas (and the subsequent dying off of the predators that depended on the spa-lovers), the Dirtosaurus burrowed from its native home in and around what is now northern Africa, under the Mediterranean to hide beneath the Carpathians while the climate fixed itself. And, of course, that's where vampires and their need to spend time with soil from their home comes from. I haven't figured out yet where the Finns figure in in, but I think it's because the survivors went there first in the summer-time and were fooled by all the lakes. Boy were they in for a surprise when winter hit. Those without saunas were finished.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote