View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 05:53 PM   #11
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
Why is it that every single discussion about MUDs always seems to turn into two developers bickering with each other? In any manner, I think that a gameworld and gameplay must coexist in order to greatly enhance the experience. But if pressed to pick one, I would invariably go with gameworld.
I enjoy a deep story and variety in races which lend a sort of life to the MUD. These things make a story, when I play a MUD I want to make a story. I want my little puppet to act out things that I would want to do. But that is where the gameplay comes in. How can I have my puppet act out a play with no stage directions?
That is why gameplay and gameworld must exist hand in hand. I do not wish to be hacking away at goblins for no reason, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy hacking away at goblins. I want, maybe, the goblin to be my archenemy who I have been fighting with because he killed my brother, or because he stole my magical shield. This way I enjoy myself and feel useful all at the same time.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote