View Single Post
Old 08-26-2002, 02:50 PM   #4
Ingham

Hmm, I decided earlier not to reply to this because no one is really interested in my opinion around here, but after reading a few negative reviews about RoD, I decided to post anyways to stop people from burning themselves and hurting RoD as well in the process. So, here's my shot at giving people some basic information about RoD.

---

Newbie-unfriendliness
Depending on when you log on, you can encounter the good part of the RoD Newbie Council, or the bad part. There are several people in the NC that truely love to help newbies and the like, heck, even non-NC people sometimes like to help. Notice though, that these people aren't online very often and more often then not, you'll run into NC people who are only in NC as a temporary step up to something else. How to get around this? You can't. All a matter of chance that nothing horrible happens to you as a newbie. If it does, you might be lucky and find helpful people. Or not.

Biased in-game leadership and immortals
This sounds worse then it is really, but unless you are willing to suck up to several imms and come to the annual RoD reunion to prove your "being part" of it all, you simply aren't going to be accepted as a part of the mud later on. Also, you can forget about most guilds and orders in this game as well. I've seen the most stupid and biased people rise up to quite powerfull positions simply because they knew the right people to suck up to. How to get around this? Simple, don't comment on anything while you are there and don't even bother with guilds or orders untill you know a few people in there quite well. Also a word of caution, don't trust the immortals, they are quite untrustworthy.

Your opinion is worth less then you are as a player
Don't ever think anyone cares about you or your opinion on public channels. You can expect to get flamed by the "in" people and punished by imms if you say anything back. No matter how right you (think) you are, you will always bite the dust if the person you're argueing with has an imm friend backing him/her. If people claim computers are made out of taffy, just nod and agree.

Leveling is dull and impossible. At best
Don't expect any fun untill you reach level 50.

---

Still though, there are also allot of good things abour RoD. Active players, lots of stuff going on and not every player and immortal is an evil magalomaniac retard bent on conquering your soul. Some are nice to talk to from time to time. Just treat everyone with respect on here, don't get involved with the mud itself too much and have a bit of mudding experience. Even better, come play RoD with a bunch of friends so you can evade the already existing cliques and you're bound to have lots of fun!