View Single Post
Old 04-24-2002, 08:06 AM   #6
Pleos

Pleos is on a distinguished road
I don't think character descriptions have to be exceptionally long - if it's enough to give the other players a quality, mental image of the character, then that's what you need. I would say a few lines, 5 sentecens, thereabouts and you should be fine.

As for room descriptions, I think the same concept applies. If it can give people a decent mental image of the room/area then that's what you need. In some areas, a long road, a forest, the descriptions tend to get redundant and can be shorter - for particular special rooms, make 'em a bit longer.

Also for room descriptions, the use of extra descriptions off of keywords in the room description can make a huge difference. This way the room description can be kept a bit shorter, but you can add the detail in the extra descs. Sure, lots of people might not read those - but for those that do, they will truly enjoy them. Not only that, in areas I've built, I've often tried to put important information, clues, quest starters, etc. inside extra descriptions in rooms - so if people just rush through they might miss something of value, something that *could* spark some roleplaying...

Pleos
Pleos is offline   Reply With Quote