View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
ww_crimson

Home MUD: Aarchon
ww_crimson is on a distinguished road
Windows IDE for C-based MUD?

Hopefully the title is accurate enough to get the point across, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or recommendations on using a windows-based IDE to write, compile, and test code for a MUD written in C (rom based)?

I've read some of the old threads in this sub-forum but I'm hoping for a little more guidance. Currently I edit my MUD in notepad files, and copy/paste the changes through the online cpanel to the appropriate files. I then use teraterm or putty to log in to the shell, and compile the code. This has been working fine for me, however it's slow, tedious, and has very few features.

I'd like to work on a local copy of the code, test everything, and then upload the changes to the server... however I have no idea what the best way to go about this is. I've downloaded Eclipse IDE, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. I've also started a CentOS download and will try using a VM, however I don't really like vi, nano, pico, etc.. I have really trained myself to use notepad well, and I just have absolutely no desire to learn all the commands associated with the linux based text editors.

I'm hoping someone can share some information on how to get Eclipse working properly with a MUD.. I've got the source code loaded in but I'm not really sure how to compile and run the code. Normally I have to compile the code before I can run it, and I don't see how to do that. I also normally need to run the binary from the "areas" folder because it looks for all the .are files to get the MUD loaded. Ideally I'd be able to actually connect to and test the MUD locally through an IDE and VM. I'm familiar with computers but have very limited knowledge in this realm. Any help is appreciated.
ww_crimson is offline   Reply With Quote