View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Windows IDE for C-based MUD?

Well, here's a thought. It should be possible, and no I don't know how, to get an xwindow server working on windows. Basically, there's no reason you can't start up gnome, or whatever window manager your server has, and get remote access to it. I believe cygwin (again) has this functionality. I haven't used it: no audio, and I'm visually impaired. But gnome, for example, has things that look like notepad, and you can run eclipse in an xwindow session I believe.

Eclipse can pull and push to and from a server, but it isn't easy. I looked into doing it once, and couldn't find a straightforward way of doing it: I couldn't get it such that I just hit the magic build button, at least without following instructions I couldn't understand at the time, and had the server build it, etc. I'm sure this can be done, somehow, but good luck.

Putting your mud in a repo is probably a good thing to do, whether or not you do development on the pc. If you're going to use ftp, though, just check out the repo on the server and use a good ftp client (winscp or an editor with it built in ) to transparently edit files as though they were on your local machine. You almost can't tell that they aren't. I taught myself git in an afternoon, at least enough to do what needs doing as a coder, and don't regret it: if you introduce a bug and need to see what changed, you can do so easily.

There are other things, but it really probably isn't worth the bother (WEBDAVS, I think it's called, but I'm not 100% sure that's the right name: an extension to something or other that almost no one uses but that windows can mount as a drive).

Finally, you can learn the linux editors, and you will be much much faster. I know this, but haven't learned them myself, mostly because until you do you're much much slower (by orders of magnitude, heh).
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote