View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003, 07:35 AM   #44
Yazracor

Yazracor is on a distinguished road
To my knowledge I do not believe that what is currently termed "neuronal networks" has been proven to be theoretically able to pass the Turing Test - especially since a mathematical description of the Turing Test does not exist (if I am wrong here, ignore the rest of my post, please).

Also, neuronal network models, and even more so, neuronal networks used in production systems, are definitly not based on our own neurons. True, some ideas behind them might stem from a study of them, but they are so different in behaviour that "oversimplified" does not even come close to it. And even approximating the behaviour of even a single neuron more than just in a broad way is currently beyond the state of the art.

That the only difference between sentience and computational power is the ability to learn, I believe, is very, very wrong. There already are systems that can infere from facts and learn from mistakes - but is an expert or fuzzy logic system sentient?

What neuronal networks, expert systems and all other synthetic systems currently lack and what is an integral part of sentience, is reflection upon their own state, i.e. the ability to extract information about themselves. No neuronal network can tell you, e.g., what it "looks for" when it classifies images.
Yazracor is offline   Reply With Quote