View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #190
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: RPI, RPE, and Roleplay

Yes you are wrong. Read what I wrote again. Here, I'll repeat the relevant parts:

The first list I put up was from the wrong file. It was the raw list of games from which we verified open status. It was made by looking at TMC's listings as well as TMS and by running searches on google using keyword combinations like "enforced role-playing", "enforced roleplaying", "role-play is enforced", "role-playing is enforced", "role-playing is required", etc. to try and find every game that might have such policy requirement.

Collectively, just putting together the list took somewhere in the realm of 40-50 hours of work (checking those with webpages for contact info, etc). The list totalled 553 games. A second list was then made of those games with an email address. This list consisted of 360+ games (I could say 363 but originally it had a few more which were found to not be role-playing enforced but rather PK MUDs that had mislabeled themselves either on TMS or TMC). From that list, the 7 members of the Committee divided up the list and checked each one to see if we could connect. This took three weeks of anywhere from 4 to all 7 of us checking for about 3-5 hours each Monday when we hold our meetings. Thus the verification of those 360+ games took the group approximately 40-50 more hours of checking. If we could log into the game and verify that it was open for play then that game was put on a third list. This final list comprised 225 games that were role-play enforced, were open for play and had an email address that we could contact. A portion of this list was the second one I posted consisting of the games starting with A, B, C and D. As of the 1st of December 2009, the list was completely accurate.

There were 225 Role-Play Enforced (RPE) games that were open and which had a published email address in existance as of December 1, 2009. On that list, there were 6 RPIs. Of those, one (Black Sands) is no longer open for play while they fix some problems they had with their code, another (Dark Horizon) has since closed and their website is no longer running. However another (Atonement) has since opened for play leaving the total at five (six when Black Sands reopens following their code work). But 225 is "hundreds" (plural), especially when you factor in that there were 180+ (553-365=188) games we did not check because they provided no contact information and hence for our purposes at the time (contacting them about participation in our site) were of no use to us.

"Quality" is a subjective statement and I made nor do I make any judgement as to how many of them are "quality". Activity is something that depends on a variety of factors not the least of which is the timing during which one logs on. I never made such distinctions, I simply presented the number of games verified by the Committee. It's far, far, far more than 20.

Last edited by prof1515 : 03-13-2010 at 01:59 PM.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote