View Single Post
Old 01-13-2003, 05:22 AM   #58
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
Speaking from a guy who doesn't normally have a lot of interaction IRL with other MUDders, either past or present, I would like to point out that a lot of the criticism coming from the community is reflective of the problems we have being enthusiasts for what is now either considered "too complex", or "outdated" by most people around us, whether they're right or not.

I mention that I like playing text-based games, and 99% of the time, I end up with either one or both of the following responses:

"Text? TEXT?! What the #### are you doing playing something in TEXT? Jesus dude, ever heard of CS?!"

*blank stare* "They have games online? That you can play? And they aren't those shooter-game-thingies? Huh. Sounds too complicated. You must be a dork."

I am, and I'm goddamn proud of it. But that doesn't also mean that I'm just a teensy bit red in the face when someone really bores into me, because I KNOW that a lot of what I do is childish here. But that's the point! It's fun! We enjoy blowing off steam in ways that most don't, and couldn't understand even if they tried to. We don't do things or see things in ways most people do; text seems too much like actually having to read, and not enough like TV. So who would care about something so stupid? Me.

However. The ability for me to log onto a MUD with a couple of friends who don't understand a thing and are very skeptical, and have them hooked within 15 minutes is...a miracle at least. And I've done it before. But that kind of ability comes from the MUD itself, and only truly exceptional MUDs and administrators can come up with that kind of ability. The problem comes when I get a taste of that ability, and then want it everywhere because I want to be able to point at my friends, laugh at them, and say, "You didn't know about it, and it's much cooler than you ever knew, and that makes YOU the wanker!"

Wanting this kind of excellence for the entire community is ridiculous, of course, I know this. But that doesn't stop me from wanting it anyway. And offering occasional criticism, constructive or otherwise, where I think things are really wrong. Whether I'm right or not is a moot point; almost everything I say is an opinion, key word: OPINION.

In the case of this thread, everyone who actually got their 2.50 refunded, get a life. Really. I don't care about this stupid "contractual obligation" idiocy, and I don't care about whether someone is "contributing to the community" or not. Those points have no purpose. The issue at hand is whether there is any reason to be bitchy about TMC, or, on the other hand, too many people in this "community" are whiners. I opt for the latter, and add myself into that category. Now whoever wants to be a leader can, but we have the disclaimer out in the open:

WE WILL PWN YOU IF YOU TRY TO BE NICE. IF YOU DO NOT MIND BEING PWND, PLEASE SIGN UP AT THE FRONT DOOR OF THE "MINISTRY OF LOVE" BUILDING. THANK YOU.

As for the magazine, and everyone whining about how they didn't get their issue or a cordial post, do what Elrus tells you to do:

"Quit yer bitchin'"

-Visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote