View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
kodath

kodath is on a distinguished road
Re: When do you stop reading?

1) How much are you willing to read before you get into the game?

Sometimes I find myself willing to read multiple hours, when it the story interests me, and I find myself getting more and more interested. I actually think that has only happened once or twice though.

2) About how much text are you okay with seeing before you decide "That's just too much; I'm not reading it."?

When not getting me interested, I would say about fifteen minutes of reading. At that point I decide whether I'll come back some other day, or if I'm going to enter the game.

3) Are you more interested in knowing about the lore before you get into the game or after you get into the game?

Most of the time I find lore as part of the history more interesting. I like quests which explore some part of the history.

4) Is the lore more important to you at first (while you're developing your character), or are you more interested in knowing about the mechanics?

For some reason the first thing I check out is the available classes and skills, to see whether the mechanic experience will be different from what I've experienced before. Depending on the class I would like to try, I look at how the lore fits and how a simple character would fit in the world.

5) Do you rely on intuition or accessible docs first?

Intuition, as far as it will bring me. However, I always get irritated when there is no documentation about how I can do something in the game.

6) What will make you simply stop reading?

Text that insult in some way players, even if they are twinks. Or insult people that decide not to join...
Also inconsistency in the lore. (Unless the lore is written from different IC perspectives, in which case that should be clearly expressed.)
kodath is offline   Reply With Quote