View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
Tezcatlipoca

Tezcatlipoca is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The Lost Cause of Magic

I have to agree with OP and Delerak here.

I think that you can achieve the desired results in this instance (even in a computing environment) through one of two ways:

First is to simply make it damned rare. This might require to to throw away the conventional idea of "balance" however. Think about a fantasy world as well known as the Lord of the Rings. Starting with the Hobbit of course, magic is *very* rare. You could claim that it isn't simply because of how often it may crop up, but first compare it to a normal RPG, computerized or not, then consider that it was a highly unique and concentrated set of events. Most people in that world (even important ones) have no magic, understanding or even knowledge of magic. In this sort of environment, it may well have a definate mechanic to it, but it's so rare as to appear... well magical. Gandalf, the most "magical" of the heros may have been the most powerful (possibly because of his magic) but he also as a result took on (willingly) and attracted (unwillingly) the most danger, and is one of the few that actually dies, despite his massive amount of power. I'll also condition what I've said with the fact that he was the *only* Wizard, as far as we know, that actually survived, besides maybe Radagast, who's survival is questionable anyway. Despite his massive power, he doesn't have the ability to simply walk into an area filled with hundreds of level 1-10 goblins, kill them all and get out alive, even if he has some impressive non-magical fighting abilities on top of his power; he has to employ tricks to save his friends, and even then fails to save them all.

Second is to make it more mystical. This might require the first condition to some degree. But a computer system, and software especially, is all done with rigid numbers and computation. But it's also a magical system to anyone that doesn't understand it. So simply hide it from them. A computer does nothing besides *simulate* a situation, it can never replicate it--at least not at our current stage. So simply hide the facts from users. DOn't give them values, and randomize results. If they don't know HOW it functions, but simply where to start and how to *influence* it (and only that through dangerous trial and error) you'll maintain your mysticism.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote