View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Auroness48

Re: Does not play well with others (RPI/RPE)

The topic to this thread is sad in a way. For a style of gaming that is supposed to be about people getting together, any discussion on that style, drives people further apart. In general sports, asking if someone who participates in <some sport> is really an athlete will bring out the same vitriol and angry posts. It gets almost comical to see these threads come up, and see the same people reacting in the same way. Sometimes you almost have to wonder if people bump the old threads just for the entertainment value, not to really discuss the issue.

I think the real issue isn't the definition and control of the term "RPI", but the fact that there are very few new people interested in MUDs anymore, and each game has to fight for enough players to keep itself running. I am certain that a few vocal people loudly proclaiming they are right, has driven people away from RPIs and maybe even mudding in general. I know that I have distanced myself from the whole RPI scene, and usually ignore any topic with RPI or RPE in the title.

It would be nice if posters could come up with suggestions on how to improve the image of mudding in general, and how to reach out to the type of people who would enjoy the RPI(E) gaming style. Perhaps focus more on the quality of literature, and even grammar, in the games, and the depth of the story lines that players can get involved in. I find that much more important in my enjoyment of a game, than whether or not a game meets only 12 of the 19 Points.