View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #11
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Learning Programing

Respectfully, I disagree entirely. There's no point in making a mud unless the intent is that someone, somewhere, plays it. If the OP is able to be motivated by writing a mud that will be used as a learning project and then abandoned, then great, my point is invalid, and the OP is a much better person than me in at least one way. I don't know about you, but that seems like a lot of effort for no gain except learning something. I'm sure it could be arranged such that there is a valid reason to end the mud after a point, but I have yet to see anyone saying that that is the actual intent.
I simply warned that, depending on goals, the technology may not be up to this project. it is up to the OP to decide if this is the case, but the point is worth making. If someone says write a mud, I don't think 10 week project. I think 10 weeks until alpha, minimum, followed by at least a year until complete stability, and a number of years beyond that providing updates and new content for a hopefully large playerbase. And yes, i expect people to disagree with this.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote