Thread: possession
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2002, 02:37 PM   #2
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
Well I took a day to consider your ideas, and I do have to give you full credit for original thinking.

I think though this is not something you could do in a normal Mud framework. What I mean by that is the whole game would have to be tailored around ghosts and the possibility of possession. I would also NOT love seeing this in a non-RP setting because of the grief it would cause.

In a real RP setting you can expect people to play not only with style but also with consideration for others. Cooperation is essential in an RP game. So in such a game if I were killed bu another player I might be able to find some interesting things to do as a ghost that my killer's player would actually enjoy.

However in a non-RP Mud ( or the farce that is 'role playing encouraged' ) things would be a lot different. In those sorts of games the ultimate challenge is battle with another player, that is the fun. Monsters just have a certain amount of power, to fight them you make a judgement about tactics and relative strengths but it does become somewhat cut and dried eventually. But other players, ahhhh... they are tricky, nothing is static and combat is always a risk.

If though my oponent could take immediate revenge by possessing me and getting me killed (or perhaps just dumping all my stuff in the ocean) I think that would pretty much remove the fun.

Group battles would be even worse. There would never be any winners just a lot of death.  Few players would be able to resist taking over one of the active enemies and things would go downhill pretty fast for both sides. Again, kinda takes the fun out of it if you know that 'winning' is never going to happen. Of course a low chance of possession would mute this problem.

There have been a couple of commercial graphic games in recient years that have used possession to interesting effect, perhaps one of these inspired your thought. But those are solo games where other players do not play a part.

But just to loop back around, as a basis for a pure RP game I can see where your idea could turn into a really great thing, unique and adding new RP challenges and possibilities. It is a unique idea, and we need more of those.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote