View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003, 09:49 AM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Please don't take this as a slight against RP-encouraged or optional games. I'm asking purely out of ignorance.

First let me say I've played encouraged/optional games and in fact started my mudding experience on one. As I learned more and more about roleplaying, I drifted away from this type of game and toward the required type.

I understand that encouraged/optional is a great way for people new to roleplaying to learn how to play muds in general, so they can see things from both sides.

But what I don't understand, is how anyone who REALLY wants to roleplay, would want to play a game that's optional.

I mean, if I'm surrounded by people who want to just chat and not get into the atmosphere of the world, why would I want to remain there if I'm a roleplayer? What inspires a roleplayer to play a game where not everyone is roleplaying?

Granted, if you're new to RP as I said, it's a great way to get your feet wet. But once you have the hang of it, and it becomes a part of your goals with mudding, why would you want to stay if the characters around you are -not- roleplaying and in fact not even required to RP at all?

Once more I stress this is -not- meant to be a slight against Zebedee or any of the other dozens of games that "encourage" roleplay. I'm asking out of sincere interest and hope you'll take it that way.

Thanks.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote