View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Orrin

Name: Matt
Orrin is on a distinguished road
Re: Easing the process for new players.

We use a lot of MXP in Maiden Desmodus and I think it works really well. I specifically designed the web interface so that new players can use the mouse almost exclusively if they want to, at least initially. For example you can move around by clicking exits, interact with objects and NPCs via right click menu, click keywords during NPC conversations, and even perform attacks and other common commands using a (configurable) hotbutton bar. What is interesting is how many of the experienced mudders who check out the web client use the mouse rather than typing commands when they start the game.

Another thing I did was to implement a simple server side targetting system so we can have hotbuttons in the client for commands which require a target. This means you can click an NPC to target them and then click an action button to stab them (for example) which I think is more intuitive if you're not used to MUDs.

We use sounds in the web client using our own protocol which loads them from the server on demand. It means there can be a slight delay the first time for each sound effect, but the client would be huge if we embedded them. The server also supports MSP and we have a sound pack available for people use other clients.

Last edited by Orrin : 01-27-2010 at 11:40 AM. Reason: forgot the clickable conversational keywords!
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote