View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 04:30 AM   #6
rosareven

rosareven is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello from a lurker

Hey guys, thanks for your suggestions. I'll be sure to lurk both muds to at least check them out.

Ghostcat: relaxed RP like hanging out in town, a bit of group hunting and exploration are all I'm really after. My definition of hardcore RP was more referring to backstabby politics that affect the innocents, wars and faction conflicts that limit your chance to explore the world (true story: there was this world I RP in where orcs are mechanically overpowered and so they virtually own the entire world if they wanted. The mindset was "if you don't want to run into orcs then stay in your terriority", but the situation became so bad that the definition of our territory is just our major city alone. Even right outside the walls get you harassed by orcs.)

It pretty much comes down to "negative RP that I have nothing to do with and don't want to be involved". My character may never steal, never murder, just a middle class merchant that has a shop somewhere. And then bad things would happen to me that I shouldn't be involved with and then I'm told "**** happens, just like RL, deal with it", and then I'd think to myself excuse me, I'm already playing RL, I don't come here to play that again, and it goes on and on... Unfortunately the "**** happens to innocents" mindset seems to be the defacto standard in hardcore RP.

But ya, the kind of RP I really enjoy is the ability to have a harmless hang out without those bad surprises.
rosareven is offline   Reply With Quote