View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
shevegen

shevegen is on a distinguished road
Re: What do you look for in a mud?

A fairly complete statement by SnowTroll.

However, that is only one part of the story.

I will quote parts of the comments by SnowTroll and write something about this:

One problem I saw with some new players was that they purposely made a scene and no real effort at all to fit into the IC game world.

They stayed IC, sure, but their young, new characters acted provocatively, purposely, for no real IC reason out of nowhere. Possibly because the player behind was bored, or did not know how to fit it - or worse, because that player did not WANT to fit it.

The last group of players is a problem. As long as I do not know whether a new player is not a troll, so long do I run a risk when I interact with characters of said player. This does happen much more often with new players than it does with players you already know can roleplay genuinely.

An attitude like "Here I come, entertain me, even if I am a drama queen" just is not going to work.

I found non-RP muds a waste of time and extremely boring. The whole concept of XP and levels is overrated and distracts from roleplay.

Sadly, most MUDs are like that. It seems to cater towards dumb players or lazy players who don't want to make any real effort to have anything else than XP or stat machine. This is not bad per se - I used to love Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2, gaining levels to be rewarded with a stronger character, fight stronger monsters etc... but it never managed to create the atmosphere of "REAL PEOPLE". I can't focus on a real persona when the display is "Fantasar, Level 51 Bard".

As said, this goes both ways, and I can give you many examples of players whose only purpose seemed to be to annoy as many other players as possible, before they quit again (permanently). I don't understand these players, they seem to just waste my time and their time too, for no real gain.

I concur but what are you going to do about these players? Admin is often overworked and has no time to deal with every problem that arises. My strategy is to simply ignore such players, because they tend to quit very early anyway, and I thus waste less of my own time.
But of course there are genuine newcomers who suffer from this too, so it's a complex problem really.

Unfortunately there are not many roleplaying MUDs at all. When there would be an average of at least four other people online at any given time I'd connect to such a MUD, I'd guess I would always have someone to interact and roleplay with, even if those interactions only happen "accidentally" - i.e. never planned, only by chance. But sadly, often enough there are not many other players to interact with at all.
shevegen is offline   Reply With Quote