Thread: Why so bitter?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2003, 02:24 AM   #21
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
What makes this an issue of NEED? The name of this web site is Top Mud Sites. Read those words carefully. It is not "Most Needy Mud Sites."

First, I guess I've already won this argument since you have to resort to blatant, ad hominem insults.

If I'm so dumb, how come I'm so successful? Seriously, calling someone "dumb" as the meat of your argument is really a terrible tactic of debate.

Second, You demonstrate again your lack of understanding of the gaming industry.

They charge an up front cost for the software in order to recoup development costs. MMORPGs these days have development costs upwards of $10 million. Furthermore, they charge up front to prevent people from getting $10 throwaway accounts to cause trouble.

Honestly, you need to obtain a BASIC understanding of the industry before you try to make suggestions for how they should do business. Furthermore, considering how incredibly successful of a market the MMORPG market is, it would appear they know what they are doing.

For all of them? You work for free? Many businesses give away services on occasion for certain reasons (ours included). That is not the same as being expected to work for free.

Widely free? The number of people playing *PAY* online RPGs is TEN to ONE HUNDRED times larger than those playing free games.

The field is widely PAY. The number of people playing the free games is actually quite small by comparison.

Please note it was *YOU* who made a comparative statement by saying the area of online RPGs was "widely free." Since you raised the point, I had to counter it.

So people who expect a widely PAY "entertainment field" to switch to being free is the same thing as expecting people to work for free to entertain you.

Who asked anyone to bow down to your "P2P God"?

You are the one saying Top Mud Sites should be some kind of communist environment where P2P muds pay the costs of operating the sites and then "free muds" get all traffic sent to their games. That is absurd.

Again, if you took the time to educate yourself you would see that muds ALL OVER THE LISTS get a lot of people trying out their games from this list. Both myself and my wife have tried games off this list from all over the rankings in search of a game for *US* to play. It is obvious that everyone on the list benefits. Proposing that P2P games shouldn't be allowed to benefit when they are the ones who PAY MONEY to keep the site running is absurd.

It is just another example of you expecting Person A to pay for something that benefits Person B.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote