View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 05:32 AM   #61
Zeta Thompson

Home MUD: Valhalla
Zeta Thompson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta Thompson
Re: What turns people from RP?

Back in the old days we used dice and sat around a table to play an RPG. Now set games on consoles are called RPGs. A few years ago being a 'gamer' became cool. So a generation of people who associate Console games that are stand alone with Role Playing Games came into the genre. They must interact with others, some find this a totally new concept. Some learn, most seem not to understand the difference between a hack and slash game you play by yourself and a MUD that is played with other people.

Ok Here is my problem with RPI muds lately.

Admin/Owner Controlled Issues

1. The environment is sloppy. There are typos all over the rooms, the rooms do not make sense in the general sense. zones, buildings etc, are too disconnected (One mud has a Fantasy area with a European Medeival style tavern surrounded by player built houses that range from "Meiji Restoration" style with that in the description to French Baroque mansions. Diverse environment and options for RP are good. In the same zone is bad.

2. You have a minimum pose length REQUIRED. Usually mushes have this, why do you have this on a MUD? I get tired of fluff fast.

3. It is an adult RPI MUD but the RP is less than the TS.

4. It is an adult RPI MUD that many of the players through their actions and OOC comments indicate they are not adults.

5. Whatever side the Admin is on always wins.

Player Issues

Most of all, it is the quality of the rp.
1. We spend an hour walking a block and nothing happens. THere is no character revelations, there is no action other than walks down the street looking at people and thinking. Maybe they hold someone's hand or look in a window. The rest of the pose is about what they see or are thinking.

2 Lately I have played MUDS and some MUSHES where every player tries to be the center of the scene all the time. There is little give and take. As the scene progresses it becomes apparent there is no overall plan or even attention paid to the others in the scene, just a bunch of "writers" showing off.

3. Back stories are blurted out and they are almost always the same. How about a thief that is not an orphan, forced into a life of crime by circumstances? I like my theives to come from a long line of them who are PROUD of their skill. (Yes I play thieves, smugglers, con artists etc. a lot)

4. Story arcs do not end. We are always at war with the Federation or Rebels. We never have any variation in the plot.

5. Players do not let established characters get hurt much less die.

6. I get asked rl personal questions all the time intermixed with the rp.

7. Players do not get that IC channels are IC. If a channel is called Wartalk I expect it to be IC not a discussion of someone's weekend or what the cat or baby is doing.

8. When I treat a charcter ICLY I get taken to task by other players for being mean or cold or smartass. Example : Player1: Where are you from? Me: The Underdark Player2:Hey what youw ant to be like that for? he was just being friendly.. Granted in an OOC channel like a newbie channel that response is uncalled for, then again so is that question.

9. I am asked who my alts are or encouraged to reveal them. If you cannot tell from my play style I take that as a compliment. But honestly why do they even care?

10. Last but probably not least is the tendancy of some players to feel they have to or CAN 'win" the game over all.
Zeta Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote