View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
bullseye

bullseye is on a distinguished road
I think this is why an effort to do this in the West could fail as well.  In the case of China and Korea, both movements involved the participation of the government.  I doubt privacy advocates would sit idly should such an attempt by our government start gaining momentum.

Having said that, I think that there are less intrusive ways to to accomplish this, but would require a little bit of coordination on the part of the gaming companies.  For instance, Visa has the "Verified by Visa" program, which provides a way for cardholders to assign a password to their credit card.  In theory, it's a great idea, in practice, it sucks.

Gaming companies could create a similar program.  For instance, in order to fully activate an account, they could require players to provide some unique information, which corresponded to a "game players registry".  The registry would simply authenticate the players information.  The registry's task would be to insure that players are unique and who they say they are, which would of course require voluntary participation on the part of the player.  The success factor would be making the registry free (or low cost), accessible, and easy-to-implement, problems that plague the aforementioned "Verified by Visa" program.
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote