View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 04:20 PM   #43
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry to pick on Achaea again, but seeing as this is a discussion on role-playing, I figured I'd throw something out there that is so NOT roleplaying, it tore me out of the experience.  Recently, I decided to try out Iron Realm's system one more time, but I was not pleased with the role-playing by a certain few players who ripped me out of the experience.  Here is a transcript of the dialogue (I removed the frills, such as people entering and leaving and it changing to night so it will take up less space):

[begin]
Major Senoske Darkstar, Angel of Retribution says to Crunk, "Wanna go to UW?"
-
"Mad Dog", Crunk Drac'Kal s'Lessen, Sniper says to Senoske, "Not particularly."
-
Khaz sighs deeply, as if he has suffered a great loss.
-
"Mad Dog", Crunk Drac'Kal s'Lessen, Sniper says to Senoske, "Gonna bash a bit
with khaz, it's mark bashing."
-
Major Senoske Darkstar, Angel of Retribution says to Crunk, "Blah you surk
hella good exp there."
-
"Mad Dog", Crunk Drac'Kal s'Lessen, Sniper says, "People are better xp."
-
Major Senoske Darkstar, Angel of Retribution says, "Not really."
-
"Mad Dog", Crunk Drac'Kal s'Lessen, Sniper says, "With a 10% bonus too."
-
"Mad Dog", Crunk Drac'Kal s'Lessen, Sniper says, "Yes really, you just can't
kill anyone but nubs."
-
Major Senoske Darkstar, Angel of Retribution says, "Ooer."
-
Major Senoske Darkstar, Angel of Retribution says, "Dude stfu."
-
"Mad Dog", Crunk Drac'Kal s'Lessen, Sniper says, "You can't."
-
Major Senoske Darkstar, Angel of Retribution says, "Yea i can."
[end]

Now THIS is bad role-playing.  Yet, there was no way I could even tell someone that this guy was jolting me out of the experience because apparently this "Senoske" is pretty high up there in world politics, so far as having the right friends in the right places.  I mean, when I first played, I often did OOC things to test out the system. People would use ATTACKS on me, and KICK ME OUT OF THE ROOM for being OOC, yet this guy can do whatever the #### he wants to and nobody does jack squat. And this was the center of town!

I told him in an earlier encounter (through the OOC "tell" system) "Talking about raising your skills and going to the fridge to get a snack is probably not roleplaying."  He got aggresive, he said "stfu I've been around longer than you here so I know." (he had really bad grammar by the way, I can't even remember what he wrote, this was essentially it though)  to which I politely replied that I have been playing MUDs for a long time too, mentioned that I used to play GemStone way back when, and not to get aggressive about it.  No words back.  I'm just saying, I gave Achaea another chance, but it's things like this that I just don't like.

Now why did I post this?  Because it goes back to the earlier posts about there being no rewards system.  I myself think there is a rewards system, and it is for players who don't roleplay.  Notice this guy has probably been a douche bag for the entire time he has played Achaea, yet he's still like a grandmaster of a city or something like that.  Meanwhile, little ol' Tithesus tries his hardest to roleplay but gets nothing.  

What I envision would improve Iron Realms a lot (besides changing business politics, but I know that's not a possibility) but a punishment system.  For instance, this guy's character credibility (the meter for measuring in-game role-playing) seemed to be really good.  Just simply put it down, and show some sort of effect that might have on him.  Maybe tell him to at least make an EFFORT to role-play.  Of course, they'd probably lose lots of paying customers that way, but that's how I'd do it.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote