Thread: MUD Addiction
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #13
Spoke

Spoke is on a distinguished road
I just wanted to point out that this is easily implemented if it is just made as a player command. In Aardwolf, there is an option to freeze self for certain number of hours, and many people make use of this feature.

The reason for having this is twofold as well. One is to allow the players to not be able to log in their characters for the time the allocated, and the rule is clear saying that it will not be reversed by an IMM save by a typo (freeze self 2400, instead of 240).

The other reason is that when the game is interfering with your personal life be it at work, study or relationship, people formerly had to choose between learning to moderate their playing time (yeah right) or to stop playing completely (completely for a week at most for the majority) OR delete their own characters so that they would actually leave (in some cases to recreate within a week). If you do not want to deal with players who have invested thousand of hours in your game who delete themselves asking you to restore your pfile or claiming they were depressed and if you could please restore it ..., then having the freeze self option is good.

In short, I think this is a non-intrusive way to do it, by giving players the tools to self-moderate themselves, but making rules around the moderating tools in such a way that they are actually effective (in this example, not reversing the command). I also think this is about as much as I would "expect" an ADMIN to go in trying to "help" players with addiction, although they probably would take special cases into consideration independently.

Take care
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote