Thread: Advertising
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003, 10:46 PM   #3
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
What I've usually done in the past is given incentives to players for advertising on other games.

I hope you don't mean "Log onto Game B, and tell everyone possible 'Game A is great!  You should come play Game A'".  Personally, I find that obnoxious- it's their game, and you shouldn't be taking advantage of their resources in that manner.  We don't allow that sort of advertising, and we discourage our players from doing it to other games.

To John: There's a number of sites around (this one, its affiliates, others) which offer a forum for reaching new players.   I'd recommend making sure you are listed on all of the major ones, and putting one ad up on each.  Focus on what is different about your MUD- very few people are going to respond just to a MUD being 'new', but they might prefer certain features or styles.  If you want a sample ad, there's a number of them on the 'Advertising for Players' forum on this site.

We've gotten good results from this- a number of our players cite our ads when we poll them about how they found us.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote