View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
The Book and the Movie

I've often been asked by new players who join NW. "What is the reason for the popularity of roleplay and text? I'm graphix buff and don't understand it."

Usually after a few days and sometimes weeks, the new player is then astounded by the addiction to this (for them) new fangled text game. I have found the answer in reflecting on the difference between reading a book and watching a movie. While a movie grants you far more visual effect and exact placement for understanding the style of the story, but those same enhancements tend to suppress imagination.

When you read a book, You decide what you will find relevant or not. You decide what images to conjure up and create for scenery, characters, and objects in conjunction with the descriptive narrative. If you watch a movie based on a book, many times the movie falls short of delivery for these same reasons.
I have wondered if anyone else has noted this similarity and why text games have a popularity among imaginative people?
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote