View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: MMO Excuses?

I think I've said it before in another thread or maybe it was in a PM that very few games focus on game design now, and players focus less on what is available NOW than what WILL BE available, especially in MMOs. For me, I'm not a waiter. I want to like the game that I'm playing and new content is welcome at spaced out interval. I hate the constant cycle of nerfing, unnerfing, re-nerfing, more nerfing, new systems added, old systems removed, etc. that goes with several of these games. It's very traumatic to the people who actually LIKE the game, and it's traumatic to players when gameplay changes drastically.

I have a problem with the quoted post above just because I think that's NOT the way to go about it. "Crafting in the same old way", as long as it's a GOOD system (rather than just a click of a button), is perfectly fine with me. DO NOT give me a brand new system to tinker with every two or three years if your system is already good. I don't want it. I don't need it. The constant release of half-done games and patches has created a bad precedence in the gaming community as a whole, imo. If you're going to make major changes to your game, GREAT!! Do it before release! If you're going to add a major system, GREAT!! Make sure that it's designed to mesh with your world and won't end up crushing or completely changing your economy.

That may just be me, though. I would rather pick up a new game than have a game that is constantly tinkered with.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote