View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 03:13 PM   #14
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
In some cases, driving some players off might actually be a good thing. It depends on the value you place on RP, I think. In a game where roleplaying standards are strict and players need to adhere to the documentation set out, then an app process would weed out people who don't give a hoot. You won't -want- players like that playing your game.

I've heard people complain "but I hate reading the docs!" Well um.. it's a TEXT based game. If you have issues reading the text that comes with it, then maybe you shouldn't be playing a text-based game.

Or..maybe the docs are so badly written that no one wants to read them. You can figure that out by looking at the people who LIKE the game and play it regularly. If they're playing it and adhering to the written guidelines, chances are they're written well. If they're playing it and disregarding the guidelines, then maybe you should consider a rewrite.

In summary, character applications can do nothing but help in a game where RP is essential and primary. At the very least, you'd want something like was previously suggested - anything other than human would require an app, until the player has proven their ability to play consistently and according to the documentation of the game.

In the game I play, all characters require apps. This is especially helpful to maintain certain standards, particularly in the case of new players. They really do have to have some amount of understanding of the game just to create the application in the first place. It minimizes the amount of disruptions that follow when someone just logs in without first having learned that it's a post-apocalyptic desert genre.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote