View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Ya know, my first thoughts were to find a way to help - either by sending food/toilet paper/bottled water/toothbrushes etc. or money, or even going there personally.

I can't afford to go (and besides the airport's still closed).. and then I got to thinking, there's no way to guarantee that the contributions will NOT go to people who *chose* to remain when the mandatory evacuation order was announced.

I really don't want to help anyone who *could have* left, but *chose* not to. I don't think anyone should help them. I don't even think their insurance companies should help them. They're already costing the government time, energy, and money in rescuing their butts from their own choices, and delaying the rescues of some who were genuinely stuck there.

Not to mention looters - just the fleeting thought that a looter might be in line for a handout of MY generosity makes me ill.

And so - thanks to the greedy and the stubborn, I'll offer my prayers. If I have an opportunity to get down there during the reconstruction I'll gladly help out however I can, and contribute to their economy by patronizing their once-gorgeous city.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote