View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 02:15 AM   #14
mudnutx

mudnutx is on a distinguished road
My heart goes out to anyone in New Orleans: the victims, rescue workers and relatives.

As an Australian living in Melbourne I can not believe the sheer ignorance of certain posters. Let's begin with a few basic facts that have been ignored through stupidity, capitalistic/Republican ignorance, or both:

[1] The levee walls were only constructed to withstand a category 3 cyclone; Katrina was stronger than that.
[2] There was concern for a long time that [1] would prove inadequate.

So please desist from Darwinistic blame-games that these underclass scumbags are so ignorant of the American way portrayed in soaps that they deserve everything they get. It's not THEIR fault that the engineers couldn't devote enough money to doing a proper job with the levees. New Orleans was clearly unlucky; it missed out on the pork barreling or governorship of any of the Bush clan. Unfortunate that.

Certain posters might not give a toss about the New Orleans victims. So let me present something that you may care about: the image of your country that appears on my nightly news. I see the poor and black folks left behind in a living ####. It shows me what America really stands for behind the glamorous facade of Bold & The Beautiful soaps. I see a welfare system that chucks poor folks onto the scrapheap so when Katrina comes they are truly stuffed. I see the looters get hold of some guns. Now, where did they get the guns from? Hmmm, you all defend your "right" to bear arms under your constitution? Interesting. I see George Bush's America where the statue of liberty with its line about the poor being cared for is made a mockery of.

Then I read in this forum that certain posters are, at best, reluctant to give aid because these welfare bludgers - surely the detritus of our time - should have got out. I hope these people never decide upon a medical career. Their hippocratic oath would be rewritten as:

[1] Anyone who is sick must prove that it is not their fault.
[2] in the above the onus of proof is entirely on them.
[3] If 1 and 2 are not satisfied then the patient can just go to ####.

Andrew Thornton
Melbourne, Australia
mudnutx is offline   Reply With Quote