View Single Post
Old 08-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #25
realmsofvalor

realmsofvalor is on a distinguished road
Re: Cyber-Attack on Atonement (warning)

A coder shouldn't need superuser access. Whomever is administrating the server should well know that.
Edit - As from the above post, it appears the Admins of the game were not administrating the server itself, and didn't know any better. And yes, it was a mistake to allow him continual access after he left the project. A lesson learned.

I don't think he's trolling so much as demonstrating the credentials that hired him. Getting a stock game running and hosted on your home machine seems like a fine test to me; I would not wish to hire a coder that could not figure that out eventually. It took a lot of effort (so it seemed at the time) for me to get my very first MUD running on my own local machine. People can say 'hey, I'm a coder, hire me' but the C/Java they've worked with would have little or nothing to do with a MUD's code, and could be fairly lost or lose interest quickly in your project.. and then you've got to start all over again, finding someone new.

Trust is a big aspect, but sometimes an Administrator does not have the luxury of hiring good friends with the requisite skillsets. Not to bust langricr's balls or anything, but perhaps he proved (and was) trustworthy enough during his tenure. I would not say the same thing now, and am grateful that the Admin of Atonement has publicized his conduct to the community.

Last edited by realmsofvalor : 08-08-2012 at 12:57 PM.
realmsofvalor is offline   Reply With Quote