Thread: Looking for mud
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #1
Heptachord

Heptachord is on a distinguished road
Talking Looking for mud

Thanks for taking a look. I have been an on and off mudder for twenty years.

I am looking for a mud that has some of the following.

Definite needs:

* Has to be free to play for me at this time.

* RP mandatory or preferred. Has to be more RP oriented and not "Yo, any n00bs want to come help me carry some stuff back to the city. I have to log off soon to go to class." It doesn't necessarily have to be super RP elaborate (though that would be okay, too). I just would like for the environment to be not a text-based WoW chat style and but rather have its own immersive aspect to it.

* Documentation or demonstrative. If I have the ability to figure out how to play it if no one else is logged on, awesome! If there are help files or quests/tutorials that acclimate new players, perfect. Or if it's easy enough to trial and error because of it being simple enough in what commands are needed, I would consider trying it out.

* Be welcoming to new players. No being approached without interaction, attacked and unable to do anything (flee, wake up, etc.) by a group of player characters on your first day. This happened at a recommended mud, surprisingly enough. I had a hard time finding it to be anything beyond a hack and slash mud, even though it is claimed to be RP enforced.

* No multiplaying allowed (playing more than one char at the same time.)

Hopeful features:

* Enough of a population that hunting parties or groupings of some sort (social activities, helping other people or what not) are possible. I sometimes play at different times, so it would be nice if it wasn't ten player max for only two hours a day. 50+ would be awesome. 10+ active players would be okay, too.

* Being able to get involved with something or a guild/organization after a reasonable amount of time playing (a month or two later max, being recruited into a active group of some kind for example). I would not like to have to play for 6 months before my character could join up if my character fit the criteria.

* Equipment saves

* Persistent world

* Ability to have fun by yourself even if others aren't on or if my character isn't particularly social one day but definitely able to get involved in group-oriented activities if desired and others are on. I would not want to log on when no one else is on and not be able to accomplish anything or have fun. Solo hunting options, crafting, exploring or way of helping other characters even if they are not logged on (fulfilling supply or recon orders) or something to do at all.

* Housing would be awesome. Preferably not so expensive that it is nearly impossible to obtain or so rare that unless ABC character decides to sell their estate, there will not be any place to purchase. A room in a shared house for rent or an inn at the back of a tavern or a makeshift camp. I would be interested in what options are out there. The ability to store items is definitely nice. Being able to decorate or craft things would be a bonus. Locked doors, optional.

* PK restricted or not at all. I am not interested in games where people can get a bunch of their buds and go after a stranger just because they happened to not say hello back or return a handshake attempt or worse, if they are new and they just want the money off of the helpless weaker character. Territories that are flagged open PvP/PK are fine, though. If it is PK restricted, in that you had to have a legitimate RP reason and that it was a balanced/unbiased system for permitting a PK against a character or organization, that would be fine as well. Permanent deaths are fine.

* encrypted connection would be nice as sometimes I play in areas common for wifi data to be intercepted (public places). Optional, though.

* Being allowed to play more than one character (but only one logged in at any given time). One character limit is fine, too but to be able to experience the game in more than one way would be cool. Mage and warrior. Or healer and warrior. Or crafting character and a melee character. The RPs would be different for both and not connected, of course. Ultimately, if it's one character limit, patience can be exercised to enjoy the game one character at a time.

---

Those are the features that I can think of. I tried using the find a mud search but either came up with muds that are not active or the search did not have features that mattered to me. I figured being able to ask the community would provide better results!

So what do you all think? And thanks!
Heptachord is offline   Reply With Quote