Thread: Looking for mud
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
Bogre

Bogre is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for mud

So: most of the RPI muds fit most of your prerequisites, except most allow PK and most are permadeath. The thing I think you had problems with in the past, though (OOC-character switching to take out other characters) don't fly on the RPI's, as most are one-account, one character. There are also RPIs where PVP is very rare- I'll mention those below. In RPI games, IC PVP is usually handled in a severe fashion - people who try to indiscriminately kill everything (griefing) are generally stomped out by IC response. And players who do that repeatedly are generally dealt with OOCly, because that's not the point of those games. So yes, there's death- and sometimes not knowing what's behind it makes it seem senseless on occasion, but it does tend to make for some crazy stories when the entire city roils about the assassination of a favorite merchant by a foreign criminal element, etc.

ParallelRPI: Science fiction/post-apoc/survival MUD. A spin-off of the survival horror space odyssey AtonementRPI, Parallel follows the lives of survivors on a deserted prison colony on the Moon. Most of the conflict and combat in PRPI is PVE, fitting it's survival horror atmosphere. PVP is present, but pretty rare because the characters all exist n very close proximity. 6-10+ players at any time. Usually characters start out in one of the 3 clans, and cooperative hunting expeditions are fairly common.

Harshlands: This one I'm less familiar with, but it is a very large world with lots of religions and townships and things. PVP occurs in few and far between instances but I believe that on average characters are very, very long lived. 5-15 players.

ArmageddonMUD: So this is probably the mud that fits all of your other reqs the best (things to do solo, lots of groups to go out and do things with, lots of places to explore, highest population). You can get involved in anything from city state militia to trade guilds to criminal gangs to tribal war parties from the get go, or start your own. However, it's probably the harshest. There are a lot of characters who aren't going to be your friend in the mud, and the characters in your home town probably wouldn't mind selling you out for their own benefit. The tagline is Murder, Corruption, and Betrayal, so you can kind of get the idea.

All the above muds have lots of documentation to read, with Armageddon and HL having the most.

My suggestion would be to create a character on PRPI/HL because that might fit your bill really close, but to ALSO make a character in Armageddon and just try it. Make it with the mindset of: This is the story of 'Y's brief and beautiful life, and his tragic death'. And just have -fun- with it, no holds barred.

Check out the other muds mentioned too! I'm a serial mud-tryer-outer.

I really love the RPIs and I think what your dislikes about other muds (multiplaying, PVP being more an OOC construct than an IC consequence, RP-only-while-its-convenient) is why I eventually found myself solely playing them. Good luck!
Bogre is offline   Reply With Quote