Thread: Why roleplay?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2002, 05:08 PM   #6
Maggie

Maggie is on a distinguished road
I think part of my reason is that I'm never satisfied. When I finish reading a good book or watching a movie I enjoy, I often find myself wondering what happened next.

With roleplaying, you can stick around to see what the aftermath is from destroying the evil that's threatening to destroy the world, see if that loving couple really does live happily ever after, help to affect the outcome of something that touches you in some way and it doesn't have to end unless you want it to; even then you have the option to change your mind and find out more.

Another part of it is that I'm a rather moody person at times. It's hard for me to keep my personality consistent, which doesn't always have good consequences. I like the fact that when roleplaying, you can be whoever you feel like at the time. If you're in a fun-loving mood, you can play a character with a lot of carefree friends and not have to deal with serious issues; if you're in a bad mood, you can play a fighter type and go out and kill things (or people) without everyone wondering why you're no longer the fun person you were the day before; if you're in a more serious mood, you can play a scholarly type and spend your time learning about things that interest you that you might not have time for otherwise.

I've also found that it's nice not to be judged by your looks, financial status, background or anything else other than your choice of personalities. In most of the games I've played, stupid characters are considered special and their humor more appreciated, rather than being ostercized and degraded by society. I think the biggest reason is that it's much easier to try to live in the type of world you'd like (there are so many to choose from) and have some effect on making it so.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote