View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 05:32 AM   #25
nass

nass is on a distinguished road
Personally I think that a lot of the reason muds appear to be declining is because muds as a whole don't advertise themselves very well at all.

I spend a lot of time promoting my mud, and what I notice is that there seems to be a lot of mud marketing that's directed at taking players from other muds rather than the big pool of potential players who don't even know what muds are. For example, I've seen a mud use a google adwords campaign directly against our url (wotmud), ie if people searched on that in google their ad would come up.

Even disregarding the ethics of doing this (it's illegal I think in Google, I could bust them for this) I think this approach doesn't help muds as a whole, it's an inward-looking approach which doesn't grow the totals.

There are millions of kids looking for online games to play, but most just don't know about us. All they know is that when they type in . at for example msn they get poker site spam.

Here's an offer, I'll help out on some sort of gaming portal that would actually target the players of those commercial games and turn them onto games like ours if someone wants to fund it. Fwiw, I do all the web development and promotion for my mud so I have an idea or two I can contribute
nass is offline   Reply With Quote