View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 10:36 AM   #26
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
I do not think there is any real doubt that the heyday of Muds was quite a while ago, but that does not mean that new technologies or radical approaches cannot bring new life to the genre.

You are certainly correct Nass that most games do not make full use of the advertising possibilities as they should. But there is a small stumbling block or two that tend to get in people's way. First, if you are trying to advertise something that people know little in the way of basic facts about you have to supply a lot of information for the ads to work. It is not possible in a simple Banner to explain what a Mud is, how you connect to one, and what playing on one is like.

So most people find it easier to just stick to Mud-related Sites when they are attempting to get the word out.

Second I think the need for a telnet connection has really become a significant problem to Muds everywhere. So many things have found a home on the Web that the need for some sort of terminal program or other special app gets in the way for people who are on the bottom half of the technological skill ladder. This is of course the vast majority of the people.

I think that my use of a Web interface instead of telnet terminals as the main way to play my game will really make it a lot easier to build a playerbase. Half the time I will not be advertising it as a 'Mud' though but will instead use the more generic 'Online RolePlaying Game' label.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote