View Single Post
Old 07-12-2002, 07:46 AM   #18
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
It can, yes - and I've done it in the past - but generally I found the results to be a bit disappointing compared to a true coordinate-based system, as the "rooms" still create artificial boundries which interfere with combat.

Try reading the post pinned to the top of this forum, entitled "Pinned: Posting Guidelines, IMPORTANT: Please read".

Icons and sigs are generic, so it doesn't really matter what you place in them, but each post is written individually - so (in order to try and keep a decent signal/noise ratio) I ask people not to post adverts in this forum.

Not so - even without giving things volume, you still gain a number of major advantages from the coordinate-based approach. In particular, you'd be able to calculate distances, allowing you to easily implement a decent ranged combat system (which was, after all, the subject of the original post).

It would also allow you some excellent opportunities for melee combat, including tactical positioning (eg attacking someone from behind), weapon lengths, and best of all a reasonable approach to fleeing from a fight. You wouldn't have to worry about someone typing "flee" and suddenly vanishing into another room, because you'd actually be able to SEE them running off - and give chase, if you so wished. Furthermore because the world is logically layed out, and you can see beyond the constraints of an artificial "room" entity, you'd be able to take short-cuts rather than having to follow their exact route.

In addition you'd be able to implement one of my favourite features, which is ranged sound. A "whisper" wouldn't be a private channel, but instead would be a very short-range channel. Equally a "shout" would travel a lot further, particularly if you were standing on a hill at the time. The "sneak" skill might allow you to move a lot quieter, but you'd still make SOME sound as you walked around - so a very perceptive person might hear you creeping up on them (or possibly even hear you draw your weapon). The sound of battle would also travel, and you might well hear the sound of steel striking steel as two people fight nearby. You could even spawn sounds as events, to realistically simulate sound moving slower than light - useful when trying to determine how far away the lightning is (personally I think that's going a bit OTT for most muds, but it would be fun to code).
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote