Old 12-10-2003, 05:17 PM   #29
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Well that depends, KaVir.

Assume the following issues, for example:

* Attracting and securing investment.
* Advertising: What places work, what places don't.
* Server Co-Location, T-1 leasing, etc.
* Server manufacturers.
* Legal Issues: copyright, trademark, patent, etc.
* Security: Maintaining a good security plan, setting up firewalls, etc.

I think I would find it more beneficial to discuss issues like the above with people who have DONE those things and have had to deal with those issues on a large scale.

From what I have read, The Mind's Eye does not sound like a forum that focusses on coding issues or micro issues of game design. It seems to focus a lot more on macro issues that involve large game management, business related issues, and such large matters as I listed above.

The problem with opening up discussions like that to everyone is not only having to sort through the flames and trolls, but having to sort through the BS from know-it-alls with absolutely zero experience. For example, the fact that someone's 6 person mud has had no problems with their shared hosting package at Mom & Pop Server Hosting, Inc. is really not a piece of information that is very valuable to people who need mission critical reliability in their server hosting.

I would agree with you 100% if the focus of the forum was on discussing ground breaking game development ideas, advanced mud features, etc. But it does not sound like that is the goal.

For issues more related to game design, features, or just community chat, I think TMS is still the best mud community site around.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote