View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004, 06:56 PM   #7
dragon master

dragon master is on a distinguished road
The point of RPI is to a term for a certain style of game. It is a game that focuses on roleplaying above all else, including PK, level-gaining and getting your character uber 1337.

In an RPI, people are shown by descriptions not names that are somehow mysteriously known. There are no levels or experience points. People don't mysteriously pop back when they die. When you die you make a new character. Character's have to go through an application process before being created. There are no global channels(except maybe a newbie channel, I think). RPIs are sort of like the hardcore roleplaying games. Somepeople like them some people don't.

Nowhere have I said that RPIs are "better" than other RP enforced muds. They are a more specific type of mud and some people may like them while others may not. Some people might like the immersion into the world created by an RPI. Some people might not like not being able to go around killing mobs, players, or gaining levels. Some people might not like righting character applications. And some people might just not like the extensive amount of RP that is involved.

It is a term that is used to help people identify the type of Mud it is not saying that it is better or "new and improved". In my previous post I even recommended Carrion fields. It is not an RPI, but that doesn't mean it isn't good or that it isn't RP required. But somebody who likes playing RPIs, might not like Carrion fields and will probably leave annoyed when their character keeps getting PKed or when people they kill come back to life. Other people might like the adrenaline rush provided by PK and love Carrion fields.

RPI muds are a type of mud. They are in no way "better" or "worse" than other RP muds except in people's opinions. If an RP enforced mud were, RPIs would be apples. Some people might like apples better than oranges but this doesn't mean one is "better". Even though neither is "better" a distinction still needs to be made so somebody doesn't bite into an apple thinking it is an orange or bite into an orange thinking it is an apple.

edit: Evarayn is not an RPI, just wanted to clear that up. (it doesn't have permadeath, has experience points I think, and has an OOC channel, etc.) This doesn't mean is a bad mud, as I said before.

Also, Evaryn is "pay for perks", so they aren't 100% free.
dragon master is offline   Reply With Quote