View Single Post
Old 09-17-2002, 02:09 PM   #10
Jenred

Jenred is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

This is funny. I JUST posted a topic like this on my major MUD's ingame boards... and the some of the same responses came up, but even more people quietly discussed it to me, and I figured Id add it in here.

First off you covered what most people thought, and that was to get over the cliche characters, (secretly noble birth, honorable knight fighting for his family, entire family dead.) But what was also discussed is the reason these keep coming up, new people to mudding often find it more comfortable to play a role they know well, typically the ones listed by people. This allows them to know what they are doing without entering into some complex persona that usually people dont even know about themselves.

Its a good learning tool, if a little bit drab and overused by those that they encounter.

Another Role-playing mistake that comes up is 'Assumptive Emotes/Poses' where they totally take control of your character with no chance of any retaliation.
(i.e.- this vampire character woman just randomly grabs and sucks people's blood, all in like one emote- Person grabs you by the throat and slams her fangs into your neck.)
These types of emotes ruin the fun for anyone watching or participating because they ASSUME the person will do nothing, or is unable to do anything. People need to learn when to take hits and when to miss. Not everyone can succeed in everything.

Well anyways, those were some topics I thought would fit in the post, enjoy.
Jenred is offline   Reply With Quote