View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #8
Kaleisha

Kaleisha is on a distinguished road
I find the whole two facets only thing quiet befuddling. Are you saying there is only RPI and everything else is just H&S?? does that mean because I have never played an RPI beyond getting bored of the first 10 very isolated and boring minutes while I try find a purpose for being that I am not a roleplayer. Sorry I just feel like every time I see these kind of comments that I am being called a non roleplayer because I choose to not play RPI. And i feel it like a bit of a slap in the face to my rp abilities because I am not some mindless moron who tears around an area killing everything in sight then idles waiting for 'repop' so I can do it all again.

I like to play in worlds where I will be granted another stab at life by a divinity or similar, maybe it doesn't make sense to a hardcore eliteist but to me it means I can really throw myself into a character and perhaps take a few more risks in how I interact with other characters. Do I PK? never, but somehow I end up playing characters that can be confrontational and question others... So yeah, I like that saftey net of more than one life as without that my time as anay character would be short lived.

So I will hunt a bit, I will stop and roleplay with those who cross my path, by and large the majority of others will also keep in their role. PK only happens when a conflict arises and the situation calls for it, not as a experience gaining tool. I play muds where there are other ways to gain skills and experience aside from just bashing. And even bashing can be a roleplaying experience when a group sets out for a hunt together

There are many many different muds out there, all have a different feel. I've found RPI's where people were standing around talking ooc and I was killed for interrupting the conversation with an 'excuse me sir, could you please direct me to an inn or somewhere I might find a meal' end of the roleplay experience in that realm. It really comes down to the administration what they find acceptable and where they are prepared to put their foot down counts for a lot

I try not to judge anymore based simply on the RPI or RP encouraged, labels. I have seen the good and bad in both, and I have to say I have seen the majority of memorable roleplay in rp encouraged games. RPI just doesn't do it for me

Ok that was kind of a long winded way of trying to say there is MORE out thre than just RPI or H&S nothing is black and white and just because it is not RPI doesn't push it to the other extreme.

Now then, roleplay in a H&S mud.. tried that once and got the weirdest looks possible in a text based game, well at least I imagine they were weird on the other side of the screen. Then someone so kindly whispered to me 'We don't do that here' *laugh* I say if the world does not already support it, don't try
Kaleisha is offline   Reply With Quote