View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004, 01:40 PM   #7
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Keep in mind that graphical games will not necessarily replace text-based games any more than DVDs have replaced books. Having more options can draw people into other interests, but there will be people who prefer the flexibility that the text medium provides.

One of the challenges of marketing our game is that I don't think we're looking for traditional video game enthusiasts. We provide great depth, but we do ask more of the player- it's not like an XBOX game where they usually barely provide an instruction manual, because the gameplay teaches you what each button does. A lot of traditional video game players log on and go bonkers because they've been playing for 15 minutes and no cataclysmic events have occurred. The concept of a game that you can play for thousands of hours (and still suck at) isn't in their mental Rolodex.

Graphics are limiting in many ways as well- if I think of a new creature or melee weapon, I can probably put it together in 10-20 minutes, plus time for any attached code. If a MMORPG thinks of a brand-new creature (not "It's a Blue Goblin, which is marginally tougher than a Red Goblin"), you need skilled programmers and a good bit of time to crank out the new animations, sounds, etc. If you want a role-playing game like Carrion Fields where we frequently run storylines in a spontaneous way, reacting to the players' actions, there's no way you can execute the required hardware in a reasonable time.

Finally, there are distinct advantages to playing a smaller game. If you play a game like ours (80-100 people during busy times), you have a real chance at being a mover and a shaker. The game may be different if you show up vs. when you don't. Custom quests might revolve around your personal decisions. The staff will 'recognize' you. Cheaters, griefers, and the like can be handled on a 1-on-1 basis, which keeps the game relatively "clean". People might tell stories your character 10 RL years later (which happens often in our community). That's a very different feeling from playing Everquest or whatever.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote