View Single Post
Old 08-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Supply and Demand

It depends on the type of game you're implementing this into. I've heard similar thoughts about doing stuff like this on RPIs and I've always pointed out that it's flawed to let PCs alone control an economy when theoretically there are usually far more NPCs and vNPCs which would be affecting the economy. The assumption that NPCs and vNPCs would simply follow the pattern of PCs is also flawed given that PCs tend to operate in a generally unrealistic manner ignoring necessities of life like shelter/dwellings or eating (unless they're starving and/or their hunger is affecting their performance) while buying weapons and armor (but never thinking twice about a new pair of boots unless it has an armor bonus, etc). That's why players will try to "sell" to shops but won't think twice about drinking from a puddle to save having to buy a drink at the local pub (unless they're RPing there). Their activities typically run contrary to any realistic reflection of economics and relying on them as a pattern for supply-and-demand will just leave you with a horribly messed-up system.

Now, if your game is the standard H&S and doesn't feature a "treat NPCs just as you would PCs" policy, then I think it sounds fine. Most MUDs naturally develop something like this anyway with whatever skewed economy they possess. Hard-coding it would just compliment that I suppose.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote