Thread: Got logs?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
Xavi

Xavi is on a distinguished road
Re: Got logs?

This RP (which I had to edit down a lot to fit..) is from the recently opened Worlds of Katarra:

Please note: we were all being very silly, here.

The Aubergine Affair / A Street Bazaar in Evermoore:

Xavi Lusk was being stared at. Not by one pair of eyes, but many. Frowns of disapproval and loud 'tsks' were offered the Lusk girl's way, as she was the source of a perilous disquiet. Apparently oblivious to danger and disapproval both, with her hands balled into fists and these planted squarely on her hips, the generally polite scholar was facing off a rotund, whiskered and highly chagrined fruit-and-vegetable merchant.

Xavi said to the merchant, "Aubergine. AU-BER-GINE. It's not difficult. Say it with me now. Au... Ber..."

The hirsute grocer interrupted, leaning across his cart to bellow into her face, "It's a fecking.. EGGPLANT, ye daft bint!"

Xavi narrowed her eyes, not prepared to win this war with violence. But by all the gods, she was sorely tempted...

Bridgette starts muttering to herself and making the strangest gestures, all while staring daggers at the merchant. Loony or not, though, the stall tender can't say a word about it. In fact, he can't say a word about anything, not when his lower jaw is fastened to the upper by a nicely shaped formation of ice. "Now that's no way to speak to someone," she scolds the man, not at all intimidating even with her waggling finger. "Be civil! She's your customer, damnit!"

Xavi was in the process of concocting her next stunning verbal riposte to this nomencularly challenged, fruit-abusing dimwit of a grocer, regarding his clearly doubtful education in the very produce he was hawking. This dagger of witty brilliance was still poised on her tongue when of a sudden the red-faced merchant starting making an odd sound. "Mmmmf! MFFFF!"

Thinking he was perhaps suffering a leakage of the brain brought on by high blood pressure, Xavi was about to call for a medic when Bridgette's astutely-spoken command rang through the bazaar. She startled and wheeled about, and then wheeled back to see the clump of ice binding the man's mouth. "Aubergine!" she snapped, taking the opportunity to make her point clear once again. She then turned back toward Bridgette. "I say.. did you do that? Magic, was it? Very clever.. " the girl's brow pinched in a frown, then. "I'd like to have had him admit fault, but I do believe the man is incorrigible on that particular point."

Bridgette turns quite the shade of scarlet as eyes turn from the upstart girl to the mouth-freezing woman, baleful stares having a new home in the poor lycan. Blush or no, though, she stands her ground, not once losing her less-than-pleased composure, returning as many glares as she can. "Yes, it was magic," she says, almost as though she's trying to dare someone in the crowd to try to oppose her. Or maybe she's just trying to sound more sure of herself than she really is. Either way, her eyes soon enough travel to the seemingly produce-savvy girl, her head cocking ever so slightly to the side. "Perhaps your parents would have had a better job of getting him to concede?"

Xavi was a good-humoured girl, too.. usually. But the grocer had gotten her dander up, and what she perceived as unnecessary condescension from the petite mage made her nose twitch and cheeks flush anew. "I'm sixteen years old, and capable of knowing what an aubergine is all on my own, thanks all the same," she responded, in a clipped tone. "Do your own parents approve of you ice-gagging vegetable merchants?" The poor man was still making garbled sounds and clawing at the frozen wad clamped below his nose.

Bridgette balls her fists and might even have made an indignant huffing sound when the approval of her parents comes into question. "I have not needed the approval of my parents for almost three decades, little girl!" Curse her barely reaching the five foot mark! Though on the bright side, no one ever calls her old at a glance. She still doesn't ungag the merchant, though. The ice will melt. Eventually. "But my age is not the point of interest here. The point is that you're a child, arguing with a man who clearly thinks a child doesn't know what they're talking about. I simply suggested that your parents might have helped him see reason without his current..." She pauses for a moment, looking at her handywork on the poor fellow's face. "His current dilemma."

Alexandria ambles through the bazaar, having just finished restocking her herbs, and comes into view of Bridgette and the girl she had met yesterday. Both almost receive a smile before the gagged merchant is noticed, and immediately her features twist into a serious, and very unamused frown. "Who did this."

Xavi couldn't help but laugh, then felt she ought not to so raised her hand to cover it. Composing herself, she shook her head, "My parents are a long way away, I fear, and probably far too taken up with their duties to be bothered with an argument about egg.. aubergines." Muted or not, the grocer was celebrating her slip-up with a 'Mff-fff!" of laughter and a pointed finger, but Xavi chose to ignore him in favour of more pleasant company. She was about to introduce herself when Alexandria arrived, the General's demand for the guilty party met with a blank look, a red face and finally a watery smile. "Must've eaten some.. chilled raspberries, Miss." She shrugged, her palms turning up. It was a lie, and she had been raised to never lie. But then, here she was in Evermoore, where she'd been forbidden to go. Walking on the wild side indeed, was Xavi.

Alexandria's hardened gaze shifts between both Bridgette and Xavi as she awaits an answer, because clearly she had asked the two girls the question, rather than the gagged merchant.

Xavi Lusk wasn't saying any more, having broken into a light sweat. She wondered whether one might be deported, for lying to a General.

Bridgette just might be grinning at Xavi's expense at the slip up, but a hand risen to cover a cough hides her mouth for a few moments. She's on the verge of some comment about semantics before Alexandria makes her demand, stealing the mage's attention. Eyes drift from the ice gag to the General, and that's when she hears Xavi blame it on raspberries of all things. Alexandria's seen Bridgette use her magics before so she waits a moment to see if the dots will be connected. The coy smirk that is quickly hidden by a hand yet again might also hint at it. She mutters something unintelligible, but really it's not what's said that matters. It's the fact that a quick waggle of her fingers has the ice gag vanishing, leaving the likely irate stall clerk to rant and rage as he will. Or simply to gloat about the Lusk girl's produce name slip up.

Xavi was attempting to sidle away, one inch at a time, hoping the crowd might swallow her before the merchant had a chance to reveal her untruth. She wondered whether they put people in the stockades for lying to a General, and how long one might have to stay in them.

The merchant appears to have lost his mind for a moment, hopping about and bleating, "Eggplant! Eggplant! Ahahaha!"

Xavi froze, now worried that lying to a General might constitute treason and be, therefore, a hanging offense.

Alexandria merely crooks an eyebrow at Xavi's answer, "Chilled raspberries..." A roll of her eyes dismisses the girl's statement, and attention snaps to Bridgette, "Bridgette, get that thing off of the man, now. I hear of, or catch you doing this again, I will have to arrest you on grounds of assault," the General still doesn't look amused about the whole thing as she turns back to the women, her attention now settled on Xavi. "Please don't lie to me again, yeah?" There's a pause long enough for Alex to draw her hand from her pocket and offer it to the human, "I don't think we were introduced yesterday. I'm Alexandria."

Bridgette simply shrugs at the declaration, her eyes settling rather calmly on the merchant. "Well, if he will stop calling his customers 'daft bints,' I won't find myself provoked." She can only roll her eyes at the stall keeper's overly jubilant exclamations of 'Eggplant'. "Not that I'll likely have much call to venture out this far very often, anyways."

Alexandria turns to regard Bridgette with yet another highly unamused expression. "Don't buy from him if he insults you. Do not attack him." Her hand is still waiting for Xavi's own.

Xavi nodded, visibly quaking in her boots. "Xavi. Xavi Lusk, of the Warren Lusks. And I have never lied to anyone, let alone a .. person of your stature, Miss." She was close to tears, so grateful was she not to be hung, drawn and quartered. She did cast a grateful glance to Bridgette when the diminutive spellcaster spoke up against the merchant's abuse of floral terminology. "I admit I -might- have given him cause to feel a bit less than generous toward my point of view..."

Xavi added, very quietly, "Though really, he ought to know what an aubergine is."

"That would be desirable, I would hate to have to condemn you due to such disrespect." Despite the slightly serious edge to her voice, Alexandria can't keep a large grin, and the laughter that comes with it, at bay for very long. "Isn't an aubergine an eggplant?"

Xavi Lusk twitched - surely it was by the grace of the gods that she was not hung by her thumbs in a dungeon by now. "Yes. It is. But they're more often called aubergines." Her teeth clamped down on her lip, to prevent herself launching into another diatribe regarding the correct labeling of vegetable boxes.

Xavi looked about for Bridgette and found her not. Perhaps another magic trick! Or maybe the mage had just gone on her way, while the going was good.

Last edited by Xavi : 05-16-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Xavi is offline   Reply With Quote