View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006, 02:07 PM   #240
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Kavir wrote:
Well, it's fair to say that the DIKU authors (if they gave any thought to it) believed they could distribute the areas, but that's not the same thing as actually legally having the right to distribute those areas. I mean, I look at it much as I do regarding the DIKU license - no harm, no foul - but others don't operate from that point of view.

From a legal sense, you draw the line at verifying that you have the right to use anything you're using, if you're the type of person who cares (I am, but that's a personal thing.) If I were to download a DIKU and run it, I'd throw out all the content that comes with it for a variety of other reasons (largely a lack of quality), but if I were inclined to keep it, I do wonder where I'd stand on using it. I'm pretty anal about following IP law as best as I know how in my personal life, but a combination of the fact that the content that comes with DIKU is worth so little (unlike music, or movies, or whatever) and that nobody's ever come forward to my knowledge to complain about their areas being distributed with DIKU w/o authorization, means that I don't think I'd end up giving it much more than 5 seconds thought.

You know, that brings something else up I think: People are all over Medievia about plagiarism, but reading over the DIKU license, it strikes me if other people did in fact contribute to DIKU, the DIKU guys themselves are plagiarizing by claiming the work as theirs and not crediting the creators of it.

Definitely.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote